Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Transfers!

Hey Family!!
 
First off I want to apologize for not hearing from me yesterday.  I just barely found out this past weekend, but the week of transfers we have p-day on tuesdays because on monday we find out if we're being transfered or not.  So be aware of that for next transfers ahead.  So here's the news....I'm staying in Baton Rouge with Sister LaPorte!  Haha I know, real shocker but we kinda already knew we were gonna stay.  Plus I'm super glad we're staying because I love it here along with all the people here.  Imagine staying in one city your whole mission...I'd be okay with that.  :) 
 
I hope y'all had a great Easter this past sunday.  Lots of members invited us over for lunch and dinner so we were busy eating all day, it was great.  But really I felt right at home so it's all good.  There was a crazy storm on easter too and the power was out for a couple hours.  It was pretty sick.  I wonder if that's what it will be like during hurricane season.  Oh my and thank you for the packages!  Three packages in one week while on my mission.  Definitely a new record...there was so much candy I never even want to look at it again.  But it was all delicious so thank you much!  Also, Sarah is the oil already consecrated? 
 
Since it's easter time and all I figured I'd share some scriptures with y'all about Christ and the Atonement that I've learned to love.  One of the greatest things I've learned is how Christ easily forgave everyone no matter what they did.  It's truly an amazing attribute because it's hard to forgive others, but he did it with such ease.  Beginning in 1 Nephi 19:9 "And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it.  Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men."  After all these things the people did to him, he still suffered the atonement for them and forgave them.  And then the amazing thing is in Luke 23:34 "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."  The people hated him and yet he stood up for them.  Christ continually does so much for us that often times we don't can't even begin to comprehend or understand.  It's wonderful.  And then here's one of my all time favorite lines in the scriptures, Mosiah 2:34 "ye are eternally indebted to your heavenly Father, to render to him all that you have and are" Sister Calderwood had it written on the wall and I always read it wondering what exactly it's trying to say.  It didn't hit me until after how important it is.  It's so true how we have to give everything we have and are to Heavenly Father and the gospel because it's through our sacrifices that we show him we love him as well.  Just something cool to think about.   
 
I was planning on sending home some pictures today except I forgot the cord...so be looking forward to some next week.  Probably the most exciting part of the week was today.  This morning we got to go on a swamp tour/walk thing.  It's actually right next to the temple and I believe it's called the Bluebonnet Swamp so you can check it out online.  To say the least it felt like we were back in the sacred grove except it was a swamp version.  Imagine lots of water, snakes, turtles, and trees.  Man I love everything down here though.  It's crazy how fast the forrests grow down here.  Oh yeah I forgot to mention, there's these flowers down here and you can eat them!  They taste like a bitter apple, it's interesting.   
 
This week we got to focus on tons of less active members which was great.  The hardest thing down here is actually getting everyone to come to church.  They know they should be at church and they say they want to come, but when Sunday comes around they're never there.  It's just a work in progress though. 
 
Here's some miracles from this week:
 
numero uno: Alexis.  She's a young women that's been attending church basically her whole life except she's never been baptized.  We've been trying to contact her for weeks but no such luck.  On Saturday I randomly called her to invite her to the yw broadcast and she finally answered and came!  We talked with her after and she wants us to teach her so she can get baptized!  Seriously it's a miracle.  :)
 
numero dos:  We aren't being transferred!! 
 
numero tres:  We got to meet with lots of people this week that we've been trying to meet with for weeks.  Also life is good.  :) 
 
Sorry time is so short, we're super busy.  And I wrote Sister Calderwood way too long of an email before you guys....so that's why I'll attach it right now, just so you guys don't feel so left out of what's going on here in good old Lousiana.  I think about you always and pray that everything is going well.  Enjoy Arizona for me this week...we've been getting plenty of sunshine here.  :) 
 
I love you all so much and thank you for all y'all do for me.  You're the greatest family out there!!
 
Love Always,  Sister Schmutz
 
p.s. Dad could you send me my family fan?  It's the genealogy page that's a big looking fan. 
 
p.p.s. Sarah I'm super behind on writing letters and we've still gotta go shopping so I'll try writing as many letters as I can today.  Also thank you for visiting Sister Calderwood.  Isn't she just the best?  In a couple months you'll have to go see Sister LaPorte as well.   
 
The chalk festival looked epic, I loved your guys pictures.  Feel free to send more pictures that are printed out so I can show them to others. 
 
Ahh I gotta go.  Love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment