Tuesday, October 15, 2013

temple

Hey Family!
 
Sorry I didn't get to email y'all yesterday.  All the libraries in our parish were closed for staff training.  And I only got an email from Sarah too so I hope everything is going well back home, and maybe you just forgot to press send or something.  This week has been oh so good, I don't even know where to begin.  Well first, thank you for the package.  Y'all know me too well.  ;)
 
So earlier in the week the North BR Elders called and said Tania was going through the temple this friday.  I asked President if we could go and he asked if we had a ride.  So for a couple days we asked tons of people from our ward if they would be going to the temple but unforuntately no one was.  My hope was down and I thought for sure we weren't gonna be able to go.  But then we ended up having zone conference all the way over in Denham Springs which is right next to Baton Rouge on thursday.  The North Elders came up with the idea to come to Baton Rouge after the meeting since we'd already have to drive there and then work up in 1st ward area for the night and friday during the day and then go to the temple friday night with Tania.  Even though President really wanted to say no, he said yes!  Haha and here's the crazy part we didn't have anything with us but we called up the LSU sisters, since I knew Sister Andrade would be going to the temple as well and they said we could stay with them for two nights.  They let us borrow their clothes and everything!   
 
And aw man I loved being back in 1st ward.  We got to see tons of people, and it softened my heart knowing the elders have been visiting some of the people we asked.  The best part was every ones reaction.  They were so confused why I was there and thought I was back.  President put Elders in our spot and the ward definitely misses the Sisters so much, hopefully he'll be putting sisters back in at the end of the transfer!  We got to stop by and see the Wleh's, Kiwanna, Sister Mills, Sister Coleman, Sister Williams, Sister Easley, Sister Eackles, Natasha, the McCartney's, and Chandra.  Aw man I just love them all so much.  For the most part the elders have been visiting everyone, but for some reason none of them called or have stopped by to see Chandra and her family!  I was so frustrated!!  I really hope they'll be able to go see them because their family is awesome!  The temple was amazing and Tania was so happy to see us as well.  :)  I miss everyone there so much but I know they're in good hands and the Lord is watching over them. 
 
I think the greatest thing about going back was the peace that came from knowing that everyone is doing well.  I learned that every ward has their own challenges, just like everyone has their own unique challenges and it inspired me to become more motivated here in Covington.  I decided my two main goals for Covington is to talk with everyone and get the members to open up and trust us.  I don't know what it is about over here but everyone is so in their shells and don't open up.  Haha it' definitely not like Baton Rouge where you can get every ones life story on their front porch before they even let you in.  It will take some time and effort but of course, anything that is worth having is hard work.  Despite the fact that I love Baton Rouge so much, there's a little opening for Covington to take place as well.  The people here are awesome and I'm excited to start working with them some more.  We even get paid an extra fifty dollars a month from a member to buy food! 
 
So what's new with y'all?  Geez time just keeps flying by, I can't even believe October is nearly half over!  I miss you guys! Haha Sarah your email sent me three of the same email...so maybe it just sent it to me the whole time.  Lucy is getting so big, she definitely won't be a puppy when I get home!  That's awesome that you got your patriarchal blessing on sunday. 
 
Here's something y'all can think about.  I was reading in the Book of Mormon this week and this scripture stood out to me.  2 Nephi 25:17 "And the Lord will set his hand again the second time to restore his people from their lost and fallen state.  Wherefore, he will proceed to do a marvelous work and a wonder among the children of men."  It reminded me of this scripture in 1 Nephi 10:16 " Wherefore, all mankind were in a lost and in a fallen state, and ever would be save they should rely on this Redeemer."  Everyone is in a lost and fallen state, but the atonement of Jesus Christ saves us from this state.  Whenever I think of the atonement I think of an anology I like to refer to as the shower analogy.  Here we go throughout our day getting dirty and just living life.  We must shower everyday in order to get clean.  And we must shower practically everyday.  In the shower it's our responsibility to turn the water on, otherwise nothing will happen.  The water is always in the pipes ready to come out (we'll just say everyone bills are automatically paid, so the waters always there), and the water represents the atonement of Jesus Christ.  It's always there but we have to do our part to access it.  The power of the atonement is unreal, and it really takes us to use it to understand it.  So I want y'all to think, how has the atonement affected and changed your life? 
 
For me the atonement is everything.  It's the knowledge that no matter how many mistakes we make, or how many things we constantly repeat, our Savior, Jesus Christ allows us to be forgiven of everything as long as we turn to him.  I've noticed that so much here in Covington.  As soon as we walk away from talking to someone, there's almost always something I think of that I should have said.  And that's the amazing thing, Heavenly Father could easily do this work without us but he's chosen us to do His work.  It's incredible how patient He is with us day in and day out.  And I'm so grateful for the time we have to be here to learn and grow from our mistakes on earth so that we can become like our Father in Heaven.  He loves us in ways we can't begin to comprehend, and Christ loves us just as much. 
 
Well I hope y'all have a good week.  Remember to "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."  I love y'all!
 
Love Always, Sister Schmutz 

No comments:

Post a Comment