Monday, May 12, 2014

happy mother's day

Hey family!
 
It was so good seeing y'alls faces yesterday.  :) man I love y'all.  And thank you for the surprise, Sarah. You're the best!  Geez I can't believe how fast time is just flying by.  School is out next week and summer is practically here.  Way too fast I tell ya! 
 
It's been quite the rainy week this week.  Haha we've had to walk in the rain more times than I would prefer, and definitely way too wet.  But that's alright, I love the rain!  My shoes are still wet and smell nasty though!  Goodness, I hope the people sitting around me don't notice.
 
So the exciting news is we got a car yesterday!  I know I mentioned it on the phone, but hey I still wanted to let ya know.  We hardly have any miles though so we're still technically a bus area, but that's alright.  We're supposed to share the car with the North Elders too but they don't have their license at the moment so we get it just for now.  It's so weird to be back in a car from walking all day everyday.
 
Ya know, something sweet I've learned since being back in Baton Rouge is how God has a perfect timing for everything and everyone.  When I was here before we were super focused on less actives because we felt like we needed to strengthen our ward before we could bring anyone into the ward.  I don't know, I guess I was just scared of baptizing less active people to say the least.  But I've learned that everyone has their own timing for coming back to church and it's unique to them.  We went over to see Chandra this week and she told us how she went to mutual with Geneva and how none of the girls were showing any respect to their leaders so then she just straight up told them how they needed to behave and what not.  (and let me just say, someones needed to do it for a while now!)  The next week she went back and none of them had their cell phones out and they actually paid attention.  Chandra is so awesome!  Goodness, I think she's exactly what our ward needs right now.  When she see's something that needs to change she goes and does it.  It's kinda hard to explain but she's perfect for our ward.  She reaches out to others which is so awesome because she'll be able to reach out to the less active people as well. 
 
It's crazy, I've also been reflecting on why I needed to serve a mission, like what was my specific purpose.  And ya know what I realized?  I had to come here and serve a mission to realize what kind of a member I need to become.  For real, without coming out here I would probably never go visiting teaching because I didn't see the importance of it.  I'd never call up a member that wasn't at church just to see how they're doing.  The list would just go on and on of things I wouldn't do.  But that's the biggest thing I've learned.  As a member of the church we not only learn the gospel at church every sunday and in our own studies, but the most important part of that is how we apply it and live the gospel.  The gospel is so much more than just doing the right things.  It's about reaching out to those around you and actually doing the things Christ would do himself.  Aw man, it's so awesome!
 
Anyways, enough about these random things I've been learning lately.  Here's a sweet scripture for y'all.  Jacob 1:7 "Wherefore we labored diligently among our people, that we might persuade them to come unto Christ, and partake of the goodness of God, that they might enter into his rest."  It's as simple as that, if you want rest (rest from your cares, afflictions, troubles, physical, anything) then you have to come unto Christ.  And you can come unto Christ by learning of him and following his example.  When we do such we're able to come to the power of his infinite atonement, therefore truly finding rest. 
 
I love the gospel of Jesus Christ so much.  I love the power that it has to completely change everything.  And I love y'all so much too!
 
Have a great week. :) 
 
Love Always, Sister Schmutz
 
p.s. I'm giving y'all an invitation, read 2 Nephi 31 (it's my favorite chapter :) and think of how you can live the gospel better.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is not only the how we should live, but it's also the why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment